Thursday 16 August 2012

Nice to make your acquaintance

Well. I have a blog now. A blog. BLOG. It's a weird word, don't you think? What can you do with these so-called things? Why in the Earth would I want to create one? I thought that would be a good subject for my first blog.

Years ago, I've thought a blog was a sort of rambling medium for attention seeking people. Who in their right mind would talk about their lives as if it is of any interest to someone else? It's just people who like to hear themselves talk, or read their own writing, perhaps. Well, yeah. That might still be the case, but my mind changed over the years. A blog can be useful. And sometimes it just is nice to read other people's rambling. I like rambling. And if no one ever reads this, at least I'll have a nice time writing these.

The first time when I thought blogs might be useful, when was I was searching the net for information about corset. I wanted to make one, but I had no clue how to. During my searches, I came upon blogs of costumers who showed somewhat like step-by-step pictures and descriptions of their own projects, and these blogs really helped me out. I came back to blogs when I wanted to make other things, and they helped me out every time. So, perhaps someone who wants to know how something works, might stumble upon a future blog of me and might find it useful. I also think it's nice to keep track of your own progess while you make something, and look at all the things that changed for your initial sketch, when you're finished.

Also, I have friends that travel the world for their studies. I've read blogs of friends who went to Africa, Kuala Lumpur, Kyoto...... I really enjoyed reading their updates and watching their photos. I myself will be going to London for an internship, and like this, I can keep my friends updated about daily life.

So. Now that you know why I created this, I might tell something about myself. I am a 22-year old masters student of a study that's officially called "Molecular and Cellular Biology" in Leiden. I'm quite enjoying my study, but my true passion lies in creativity. I like to make costumes, either period correct or fantasy and have been doing that since 2005. I've never had any sewing classes, everything I know either comes from what my aunt told me, what I read in blogs, or what I figured out worked fine for me. I also enjoy photography, at both ends of the camera. I want my own camera for my 23th birthday, so I'll have to wait a few months. I also like drawing, and I enjoy playing games, like Dragon Age or the Elder Scrolls series. And don't forget - another passion of mine is baking and cooking! You can look forward to posts about any of these subjects. 

I choose to call my blog the Needle and the Lens, for the Needle, the Lens, the Pencil, the Baking Tin and the Microscope was a little too long!

I hope you have a nice day, dear reader, and I hope that my future rambling will amuse you, or help you out. I'll be looking forward to you!

As an ending note, I will add the photo of my facebook timeline, for I think it is a nice representation of me.


2 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you. Rambling is the stuff that creativity grows up in, enjoy yourself and let the words find their own way.
    Groetjes, Bart ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a fine day, dear reader ;) I shall certainly enjoy letting the words flow of their own as an output of a creative mind :)
      ~ e-Sidera

      Delete